Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mangosteen!

Ever since I found out I'd be going to Bali later this month, the main thing I've been looking forward to is experiencing fresh mangosteen, the queen of fruits (the Jewish relative of the mango).  I've used mangosteen in juice and powder form not for the inner fruit, which I've heard is sweet and delicious, but for the bitter rind, which contains very high levels of xanthones, the most powerful natural anti-inflammatory compounds known to man.  Little did I know, my chance would come sooner than I expected.  Today Ben told me in passing that the local supermarket (of all places!) had great mangosteen.  I didn't think you could get mangosteen in this area, not having seen it after being here over 6 months.  "No way, mangosteen?! Here!?"  I rushed over and bought the 12 that they had left and split them between Ben and I.  I cut one open and enjoyed the decadent sweet juicy fruit inside.  I once read an account by someone who tried biting right into the mangosteen peel or pericarp that it was so intensely bitter, he felt like he died!  Hoping to take a slightly easier route, I ordered a fresh glass of cucumber juice in the cafe and blended the rind up with the juice in the Vitamix.  The mangosteen has similar gelling properties to chia seeds, noni, aloe, and irish moss, so the drink had a great red color and thick smooth consistency.  Margot, who blended it up for me, tasted a little and instantly said "AH! YUCK!"  Two more people got little tastes before it got to me- one instantly ran for water and the other nearly threw up.  Finally I got my hands on it and started taking it down... my throat instantly started going dry.  Sixty seconds later, it was all down and I was going for water.  But no matter how much I drank, my mouth and throat felt completely parched!  A few minutes later it started really hitting my stomach... I left my office and headed for the toilets.  I passed Ben on the way "I don't know mate," I told him, half laughing at my own predicament "I might not be able to keep this one down."  I was feeling really quite sick.  I went and sat next to the toilet for a few minutes and started having a massive craving for chia... it made sense because the chia gel would slow the mangosteen absorption and make it more bearable.  I rushed back out to the cafe and got a cup of chia pudding and practically inhaled it.  Slowly but surely the revolutions in my stomach turned to small protests, and then peace.  I got some serious medicine out of that one!

The most exciting recent raw superfood creation- raw sweet potato chips- a raw superfood that tastes and feels just like regular potato chips and makes you feel incredible!


Tonight I had a great talk with a few wonderful friends that has me reinspired- the fire has been rekindled, I can't wait to make it all happen tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment