Saturday, March 12, 2011

Shark Sighting

After a week of minimal surf and several days of nursing a strained neck from a yoga mishap (diving headfirst into the ground, not my greatest moment) today the waves finally came up in a big way!  Today being Saturday meant no work and no yoga, so I slept in (until 7:30... this is sleeping in when you are used to getting up at 5:00 daily or earlier for yoga), then made an elixir and went for a surf.  Afterwards, I went to Samudra to participate in a fundraising event for child trafficking in India... basically anyone could come do 27, 54, or 108 sun salutations and make an offering.  With my neck still not yet back to 100%, I played it safe and went for the 27 option.  After a delicious salad and a piece of raw strawberry cheesecake, I went for another surf.  Still hungry for more waves, I went to meet Ben, who was just finishing work, to go to Injidup Point.  We drove out there and walked 20 minutes out to the point with our boards only to arrive and here that a 10 foot shark had been seen there only one hour before.  We debated laughing for a while whether the shark would have moved on by now or not... in the end I decided that the waves weren't really that good and that paddling out would be too much of a threat to my longevity.  We hung around for the sunset and had a great inverted sun gazing session that really charged me up.  (When you sun gaze inverted, it is much easier to do, so you can do it for longer and get a more profound effect.)

Australianism of the day- Sometimes (especially on the east coast) instead of saying "thank you," they just say "ta."  This one really annoys me!  The first few times I heard it, I had no idea what people were saying and still it just doesn't make sense to me- "thanks" is not that long that it merits abbreviation to "ta."  I'll add this to the short list of colloquialisms I won't be adopting, which includes pronouncing the "h" at the start of "herbs."

No comments:

Post a Comment