Thursday, December 23, 2010

Getting mobile

3 days into my trip and I finally bought a car- it feels great to be mobile.  Its interesting to see how different peoples tastes in cars are here- low rider trucks are considered by most everyone to be the epitome of style.  I always thought it would be impossible to get used to driving a manual right hand drive car, but already my mind has switched and it feels like driving the way we would in the US would be totally strange!  I'm staying with my new favorite people in the world, David and Carol, in their apartment overlooking the Mandurah Harbor.  The weather is hot and humid, though the crystal clear blue water is without any waves for the moment.  Originally, I was going to head south to the fabled surf town of Dunsborough as soon as I got a car, but I've decided to spend Christmas here with David and his family.  I'm learning more and more Aussie slang all the time.  See if you know what any of these mean- gidgie, ute, rubber jelly, quokka, and pom.  Stay tuned for pictures coming soon- I haven't used my camera much yet, but I'm planning a photo excursion for tomorrow to capture the beauty of Mandurah!

No comments:

Post a Comment