Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Giants Cave

This post is actually from two days ago, its taken me a few days to get a fast enough internet connection to upload this video... better late than never!

Yesterday afternoon, I rolled in to the quaint town of Dunsborough, which is currently packed with holiday tourists for the next week.  The climate here is interesting- it takes a little getting used to realizing that drive south in the southern hemisphere means going to cooler weather.  Not that its much cooler though, still in the mid 90’s and the nature here is much like that of Mammoth Lakes in the summer, but by the ocean.  Today I drove an hour south past Margaret River in search of a cold spring I had heard about.  I managed to get totally lost along the way and when I finally got there, I found out that the spring had since changed its course and now comes out under the ocean, making the water impossible to access.  But the kind park ranger let me fill up my bottles from her rain water resevoir.  Slightly disappointed by my failure to find spring water, I decided to take on a new adventure, turning off at a sign marked “Giants Cave.”  Caves are abundant in this region and I later learned that this one was the biggest of all as its name suggests.  The ranger set me up with a helmet and flashlight and sent me on my way… over an hour of working my way through vast caverns and tight passages climbing up and down rocks, stairs, and slippery metal ladders-what an adventure!  It was super dark, so not ideal for documenting, but I did the best I could to bring you with me- see the video and photos below! (Make sure its set to HD for best quality)










No comments:

Post a Comment