Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back to work!

All is sunny and beautiful here in WA!  Waves have been big, but with less than ideal conditions, but last night's session definitely got my adrenaline pumping!  Three days ago I started working at Samudra (http://www.samudra.com.au), an oasis of raw foods, yoga, and surfing- the exact 3 things that I live for!  I've really been doing a bit of everything there since I started there, from selling superfoods, to working in the Kombi (Australian name for a VW bus) Cafe, to doing promotion, filming and editing promotional videos (see the first one here to get a look at the Kombi Cafe http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samudra-Yoga-Surfing-food-4-life/133581510019256?ref=sgm#!/video/video.php?v=1558532609263&comments )  and selling raw ice cream around town on the beach on the ice cream bike! 

  The people I work with at Samudra are the coolest people ever, by far and I am having a non-stop incredible time working there.
The fly population here in Western Australia is nothing short of gnarly.  As soon as you go outside, you instantly get a fleet of 10-15 flies assigned to your head, attempting to enter eyes, ears, mouth and nose.  And when you go to the beach, the minimum assigned fleet is 40-60 flies- its unbelievable!  It was driving me absolutely insane.  I am reading a book written by an American woman about her experience on a walkabout with Australian aboriginals.  No sooner had I become completely fed up with the flies then I reached a chapter in the book written entirely on the subject of the menacing Australian flies.  She had apparently experienced similar frustration with them until the tribe leader explained to her that aboriginals do not see the flies as a pest, simply as something completely natural and appreciate that the flies are actually grooming and cleaning the people they land on.  Reading this chapter brought about a radical change in my interaction with the flies.  I now accept their presence and try to embrace them as much as possible and do not swat them away unless they attempt to enter my mouth, in which case I am doing so for the fly's own good.  I highly recommend this book to everyone, it is called Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan.  Happy New Years to everyone and check back soon for more adventure updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment