Thursday, January 27, 2011


I haven’t recently had any events that would merit a blog entry of their own, but so much has been happening that I’ve decided to write this entry as a stream of consciousness flow of everything that I’ve been experiencing.

I've been making quite a few promotional videos for Samudra... have a look at http://www.youtube.com/samudrayoga  The other night the sky was so clear and the stars were so bright.  It was the first time that I could clearly distinguish the Milky Way stripe of stars across the sky.  Australian slang is very interesting.
Here nobody says they want to do something- like you would never say "I want to surf", its always "keen" I'm keen to surf, I'm keen to go to bed, I'm keen to eat
Also, "awesome" is never used... if something is really good, its "bullshit" which can be really confusing for me sometimes, as I am accustomed to bullshit being something bad. If the waves were really good, you say the surf was bullshit! If it was bad, its "shit house."  They never say afternoon- they call it the arvo, pronounced avo like avocado. As in "i'm gonna go surf in the arvo" or have a good arvo.
Yesterday was Australia Day, but with the knowledge I have gained about the history of the treatment of aboriginals, I joined a few friends in not celebrating the settlement of Australia by the English.  I went to work as usual, which included a few hours on the ice cream bike… with everyone on the beaches, I set the all time world record for raw ice cream bike sales in one day!  I’m becoming a regular character in town now as the raw ice cream bike man… as soon as I take it out on the streets everyone that drives by honks their horns and waves… Even though I don’t always sell “heaps” of ice cream, it is an incredible marketing vehicle.  I’ve learned to ride the ice cream bike on two wheels, with one of the front two wheels up in the air- if people weren’t already tripping out on the ice cream bike, they definitely are now!  I’ve had some fun waves this past week, including some fun barrels.  In the process of trying to expand raw/superfood consciousness in Australia, I’ve run into some interesting cultural barriers that I hadn’t experienced before.  Just yesterday, one person asked me “Why do people feel the need to be healthy?” and another said “There’s no way I want to live until I’m 120.”  On February 6th, I’ll be leaving to work with David Wolfe and promote Samudra on David’s tour along the east coast of Australia, going through Brisbane (still very flooded), Byron Bay, Sydney, and Melbourne, before flying back for one week with David at Samudra.  This will be a great opportunity for me to experience the east coast to help me figure out what I want to do in my future in Australia.  I really miss having a Vitamix blender… the Magic Bullet is nice, but there’s just nothing like a 240 mph blade for making the best superfood elixirs ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment